Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I AM A TEDSTER, TOO!





In addition to being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, a hubby, a dad, a Grandpa, Father-in-law, an uncle, cousin and teacher... I want you to know that I enjoy my affiliation with TED!

Hasn't cost a dime. Not even a penny. Imagine that!

I don't always agree... and often fail to appreciate what's being expressed. (Not unlike a 25-year friendship with Hugh Nibley's works- to grasp what's he's saying, I have to dig a little deeper and ponder, ponder, and relate!)

I know. I know. In six months I may be on to another idea-rich source. For now, TED is like my old friends, inviting and interesting.

What is TED you ask? Consider the following from their website:

"The goal of the foundation is to foster the spread of great ideas. It aims to provide a platform for the world's smartest thinkers, greatest visionaries and most-inspiring teachers, so that millions of people can gain a better understanding of the biggest issues faced by the world, and a desire to help create a better future. Core to this goal is a belief that there is no greater force for changing the world than a powerful idea. Consider:

  • An idea can be created out of nothing except an inspired imagination.
  • An idea weighs nothing.
  • It can be transferred across the world at the speed of light for virtually zero cost.
  • And yet an idea, when received by a prepared mind, can have extraordinary impact.
  • It can reshape that mind's view of the world.
  • It can dramatically alter the behavior of the mind's owner.
  • It can cause the mind to pass on the idea to others."
Yep. That's a brief summary. If you find yourself captured by a TED presentation, please let me hear about it. I may have missed it!

No comments: