Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SELECTION KENNETH CHARLES LENHARD'S DIARY





RUNNING ROUGH DRAFT DIARY SELECTION
KENNETH CHARLES LENHARD'S DIARY
TOLEDO, OHIO
26 January, 1944

Had seen beautiful young looking, blond in Hillcrest Lobby while living there. Saw her very often. Saw her eating with mom, brother, tonight at Gracies "Smith." Hipp was with me. I was just amazed to find she was 19 years old, lived formerly in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

From that nite, we had a mad romance, staying out to "wee small" hours for approximately 9 nights. One night, on a double date with Stan Leinde and wife, "Peggy" Henry (Gloria M. Henry to be exact) passed out at Commodore Terry Hotel, nite-club. We took her in cab to Stan's apartment, where "Peg" slept on couch till 3:15 AM then cab to Hillcrest.

Well, she left Toledo on train for Richmond, Virginia, 4 Feb. 1944, and then I knew I liked this girl more than any girl I'd ever known. We corresponded for 2 1/2 months, about twice daily, and called each other once a week. I rec'd five AIR MAIL letters one day! All loaded with love. Finally she got peeved about something I wrote and stopped writing till September, 1944.

No comments: